Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The fine art of sucking wheel

Wow, great previous blog by Renee! I agree with everything she said, especially the parts about sucking wheel and holding on for dear life...

While I did have the awesome opportunity of spending last week riding my bike in North Carolina, I haven't really done that much riding this spring so I didn't really know what to expect on this ride. In the end, I was able to survive and (mostly) hang with the fast girls, but only through the use of roadie skills, including pacelining and drafting (also known as the fine art of sucking wheel). So, while mountain biking is far superior to road riding, the skills and tactics do come in handy :)

All I have to say to all the expert level women out there is watch out for Renee and Jen. They are some fast ladies! While barreling down Seminole, I happened to glance down at my computer and realized that Jen was pulling us straight into a headwind at over 21 mph!

Ironically, my computer gave an average of 15.9 mph for the ride which was technically within the advertised range but it sure felt a lot faster than that.

Enjoy the blizzard of Spring '07!
- Amelia

1 comment:

madisongrrl said...

It is definitely apparant to me that you and Renee C have road skills. I on the other hand really have no clue as to what I'm doing. Watching you guys cruise down the hill on Seminole and taking the turn at the Arboretum made me realize that I should be a little concerned about Sunday's crit. I'm really not afraid of crashing (and I hopefully won't cause anyone to crash...I think mountain bike racing has taught me that much) and I'm really not afraid of getting dropped (after all, I am a mountain biker and I really don't belong at a crit...it's my excuse and I'm sticking to it), but I'd better get to the race early and watch how people take those darn corners. Cornering with the pack will be my biggest downfall.

Renee B.