Monday, April 5, 2010

Spring Winds

I feel like I've had a slow start to the riding season this year. However, the unusually warm weather makes me forget that most years I don't ride that much before April. After racing cyclocross until Nov or Dec and then ski racing until March I usually find the spring to be a good time to get caught up on the rest of life.

However, what is a person to do when we have 80 degree temps in March? The only answer is to get out on the bike. Next thing you know you are trying to get back to a regular schedule of riding as you can't help but remember that the first WEMS race is just around the corner and maybe you would want to do the Cable Area Off Road Classic again this year. And even though you skied the Birkie you can't believe how slow you feel on a bike so better get riding!

That's all well and good but spring in Wisconsin means WIND. This Sunday I decided I needed to do a longer ride and headed off to Belleville. The winds were fierce - either in your face or trying to blow you over with a nasty cross wind. I don't like winds . . . they are even worse than hills by my estimation. In all of my many, many times riding to Belleville it has never taken so long and felt so painful. Getting there is supposed to be the fun part as it is super flat and usually fast. At least the wind was at my back for the hills on Fritz and Riverside or I may have never made it home. I persevered though so hopefully what didn't kill me will actually make me stronger (faster would sure be nice too!).

Unfortunately I imagine there will be many more windy rides this Spring. Hopefully we luck out for our Mad FORCs Tuesday night road rides and avoid the worst of the windy nights. Tuesday rides start this Tuesday, April 6 at 5:30pm at the east end of the Arboretum. First week is to Paoli. Tues, April 13 I'm leading the ride to Goodland Park.

Renee

No comments: